Saturday, January 31, 2015

Would you step off a cliff? backwards? - by Kevin


How about if I gave you a thin strong rope to hold onto - would it then change from a crazy idea into an adventure?
Moving to South Africa feels like the first time I rappelled off a cliff.  I have been asked, "are you excited"?  Yes I'm excited and terrified, I swing from one to the other.  But then I remember I have to trust in the thin strong rope that is my faith in Jesus.  Sometimes that rope does not seem like much but I've learned that I can place my complete trust in it and it will save me from falling.  I remember rappelling off a cliff for the first time when I was in college in Colorado.  You have to hold onto a rope and then walk backwards over the edge.  All my senses were screaming at me, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!! HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MIND?!"  My climbing partners kept telling me to lean back and trust the rope.  I was scared, but my ego pushed me over the edge.  As I moved down the face of the cliff (that was well over 150 feet high), the more I trusted the rope the more my terror turned into excitement. By the end I was letting go of the rope and free falling, because I trusted the rope would hold me when I grabbed it again.  When I arrived at the bottom I could not wait to do it again.  Moving our family to the complete unknown in South Africa is the biggest leap of faith God has ever asked of me, but he has always been faithful, so over the edge we go.  We just bought non-refundable one way tickets.  I'm scared and excited and holding on to that thin strong rope.

(yes, that is me, and yes I do have a mullet.  It was 1991-so cut me some slack)



1 comment:

  1. NICE mullett! Praying that the Lord will strengthen all of you in your inner beings through His Spirit (Eph. 3:16).

    ReplyDelete